The good and bad from past Battlefield games

A friend of mine and I talk about Battlefield and any news that comes out about the upcoming game. Recently he asked me what would I bring over from past games and what I would want to see removed from past games. So I thought about it and put together a list of my likes and dislikes for three BF games: Battlefield V, Battlefield 1 and Battlefield 4.

Just a quick disclaimer: it's been a few months since I've played a Battlefield game so it's possible I am forgetting something on the list, but I welcome others to leave a comment and share their likes and dislikes of past Battlefield games too.

Battlefield V

What I LIKED about Battlefield V

  • Graphics - The game looked good. The soldiers, the vehicles, the environments all looked good. Although something I mention in my dislikes is that with the environment, it was hard to see enemy players.
  • Gunplay - I enjoyed the gunplay as there was no "random bullet deviation."
  • No mortar - Making it so a soldier could not equip a mortar in their gadget slot.
  • Spotting - It took some time to get use to but I liked the new spotting mechanic.
  • Not showing on mini-map with loud weapons - This was a big change from past games but a welcome one as you could go for flanks and not worry about shooting your weapon.
  • Fortifications - Even though they don't really help much in a round, I think it helps the environment and makes it feel more like a war somewhat.
  • Squad reviving - I liked that you could revive your squad-mates even if you weren't a medic.
  • Destruction - I liked the amount that could happen on maps, it wasn't too much and not too little in my opinion. I know others want to see more and I wouldn't mind seeing more in the next game.
  • Squad reinforcements - Calling in bombs or vehicles was fun. I don't think it really improved squad-play much though.

What I DISLIKED about Battlefield V

  • Anti-cheat - There was either no anti-cheat or very bad anti-cheat that didn't work properly. Yes, this is first on my list because this is what caused me to stop playing the game on PC. This should be #1 priority for the next game.
  • Seeing enemy soldiers - It was hard to see enemy players, but I can't pinpoint it to one exact reason as to why it was that way. Was it the environment's colors or shadows? Was it the soldier's outfits mixing in with the environment? Was it because "spotting" worked differently from past games?
  • MMGs - Just why? Why include a weapon in the game that you need to go prone and camp to efficiently use?
  • Revive animation - The whole revive animation. Just no.
  • Locked-in animation melee kills - You could shoot an enemy player and if their health was low enough you could just press the melee button for a free kill and your enemy was locked-in for death.
  • No Engineer class - Instead they gave the Support class the repair tool. I hope they bring back the Engineer class in the next game.
  • Too much sliding - Please either remove this CoD mechanic or put a cooldown on it. At times you would just see people sliding everywhere, similar to BF3 days with bunny-hopping.
  • No Battlelog - Players had to either check in-game or go to a third-party website to view their soldier's stats. EA/Dice/Battlefield did not build a website for BFV stats. Just think about that for a second. What a joke.
Battlefield 1

What I LIKED about Battlefield 1

  • Atmosphere/environment/sounds - BF1's atmosphere was the best in my opinion as it really made you feel like you were in a war
  • Graphics - I liked how the game's environments, soldiers, and vehicles all looked. It did feel like WW1.
  • Revive mechanic - Reviving with the needle, it was fast and efficient. It was no doubt better than BFV's revive mechanic.
  • Weapon pick-ups in-game - I know some did not like this and some players would just camp where the weapons spawned, but I liked these and thought it brought something different to the battlefield.
  • Added 3/23: Weapon service stars - Just as in BF4, every 100 kills with a weapon would give you a service star for that weapon.

What I DISLIKED about Battlefield 1

  • Overpowered aircraft - If you have ever played BF1 you already know what I'm talking about.
  • Sniper's sweet spot mechanic - Just why?
  • Locked-in animation melee kills - You could shoot an enemy player and if their health was low enough you could just press the melee button for a free kill and your enemy was locked-in for death.
  • No Engineer class - The Support class had the hammer to repair vehicles. Also there were pilot and tanker classes for vehicles, which also had the hammer.
  • Environment fire - Some of the little fires on the ground would set you ablaze. I'm all for the environment looking and feeling real but in a video game this is not needed.
  • No Battlelog - There was a Companion app, but it was nowhere near what Battlelog provided.
Battlefield 4

What I LIKED about Battlefield 4

  • Graphics/environment/sounds - Even today this game still looks good.
  • The 4 classes - Assault, Engineer, Recon, Support. I am hoping they go back to these classes in the next game.
  • Revive mechanic - I enjoyed the reviving with the paddles and like this mechanic the best. Of course not charging your paddles would give a lower health value to the soldier you brought back which frustrated most players.
  • Cross-class weapons - DMRs and Carbines were available for all classes to use. So were Shotguns but in my opinion not every class should be able to use shotguns as they can be very powerful weapons.
  • Speed - I enjoyed the speed of the game in terms of soldier movement. I felt it wasn't too fast and not too slow.
  • Custom servers - There were servers that had rules for pistol only or melee only. Honestly those were the servers where I had the most fun on. I miss those servers.
  • Battlelog - Yes, Battlefield once had their own website that tracked your soldier's data and you could check kills per weapon/vehicle, etc, and so many more stats.
  • Leaderboards - Battelog actually had leaderboards where you could check by country/city/etc to see where you ranked in certain categories.
  • Added 3/23: Gunplay - I enjoyed the gunplay in BF4
  • Added 3/23: Weapon service stars - Every 100 kills with a weapon would give you a service star for that weapon.
  • Added 3/23: Gun customization - I liked how you could add different attachments to weapons, which would improve them in different ways. Some players complained that not every attachment was unique in what it did but that didn't bother me.

What I DISLIKED about Battlefield 4

  • Spawn system - Some maps had bad spawns and other maps had some god-awful spawns.
  • Counter-knifing - I never liked this mechanic as it seemed the chance to do it goes so fast and almost always the animation seemed to get stuck and you would automatically die and hear your body drop.
  • Commander - If one team has one they will win the game. You will constantly be spotted on the mini-map.
  • Added 3/23: Infrared/heat scopes - Bad players (both infantry and vehicle) who needed a crutch used these no matter, even on day time maps.


Blog post updated on 3/23, as my friend gave his thoughts about this topic and I noticed that I forgot quite a few things on my lists so I added a few more.